Effectively identifying and retiring zero-usage devices and services is the 47th reason to go beyond TEM and manage the enterprise digital footprint.
One of the biggest problems tackled by technology expense management is useless spending. In fact, bill shock often comes from too little usage, not too much. A big part of that is zero-usage devices or services, which occurs when employees do not use a device or a service at all, but their employer still pays for it.
This can happen when employees leave, transfer or relocate without cancelling their service. Organizations often don’t have the right tools, the man-power or the time to go over every bill. They then end up blindly paying bills without really knowing what they’re paying for.
Why is identifying zero-usage so important?
Discovering zero-usage devices is a key element of TEM. In fact, a lot of benefits of a TEM solution touch on zero-usage or lead to it in some way:
- Mobility automation finds zero-usage devices and eliminates or reallocates them by automating repetitive or manual tasks, reducing human intervention and human error. This makes overlooking zero-usage less likely.
- Usage transparency shows you what you have and who is using it, making it easier to identify unused devices or services that are generating unnecessary expenses (and saving you money).
- Cost transparency also helps avoid spending for devices or services when employees leave, for example, by making all your costs visible.
- Cloud management seeks out unused servers and investments that could be analyzed and optimized.
But most importantly, cost optimization is the key to finding and reallocating or eliminating zero-usage devices and services, as it is plays a crucial role in technology expense management as a whole. The optimization process involves centralization and visibility, IT cost evaluation, IT cost management, and IT cost cutting, among others, which all help greatly with zero-usage elimination.
How can you identify zero-usage devices and services?
Detecting zero-usage devices starts with centralizing your technology environment and making your assets visible. After all, there’s no way you can manage your assets if you don’t know what or where they are! Centralization gathers all your information in one place, allowing users to see what’s going on with their technology usage and expenses at work. This way, zero-usage is highlighted and visible to everyone.
Do companies really see results from identifying zero-usage devices?
Identifying zero-usage devices and services and taking action on them is one of the main advantages of adopting an all-in-one TEM solution. Getting rid of zero-usage devices not only saves money, but it also saves time and helps keep an accurate inventory.
Take a look at a few examples of companies just like yours who were able to save significantly by singling out zero-usage devices and taking appropriate action:
- A financial services company avoided IT and telecom overload after the implementation of a TEM solution. In just three months, 180 zero-usage services were found. This lead to the reduction of this organization’s monthly telecom bill by 15% through the renegotiation of rate plans and the retirement of zero-usage.
- Various companies in the oil and gas industry were able to save in IT and telecom by identifying $150,000 in annual charges from billing discrepancies and zero-usage devices.
- In a month, an international energy company saw benefits from IT and telecom expense management by focusing on cost-cutting initiatives like zero-usage identification, saving over $70,000. More than 600 erroneous bills were found and over 1,300 mobile phones were left totally unused.
- A metal manufacturer saved $80,000 by eliminating late payment fees and improving accountability and self-awareness in employees through the management of unused devices and cost transparency.
Most – if not all – companies continue spending unnecessarily because they’re not aware of the extent of their zero-usage devices and services, so consider adopting a technology expense management solution like Cimpl to help you get rid of useless expenses! Contact us for more information.