Bringing the Value of IT to Light
For the uninitiated, a bill of IT is a bill of materials which clearly and transparently explains the cost of IT services and devices in a way that’s easily understood by business end-users.
What is a bill of IT?
Basically, a bill of IT is a bill of materials which clearly explains the cost of IT services and devices in a way that is easily understood by business end-users and decision-makers alike. More precisely, a bill of IT is a clear but detailed list that explicitly shows the associations between IT asset and services with any or all of the following:
• Its cost – the monthly cost or fix price per service or asset.
• The budgeted cost – full cost per year or other reporting period.
• The activities – last login date, key usage metrics, bandwidth use, roaming, voice and data.
• Benchmarking – how is the service use in comparison to other users or groups or the entire organization.
You see, presenting an undetailed budget or balance sheet just might lead everyone without a serious grounding in science or math (from decision-makers to the most junior employee), to think that IT is blowing the budget on toys. After all, it’s a pretty easy misconception to have when the justification for a purchase isn’t made clear.
For example, if the IT manager has purchased and installed a top-grade server with all the bells and whistles for enterprise email use without explaining why, then people might just think that it is money wasted. Remember: People might not have a strong understanding of technology. Now, if the other business units are shown a bill of IT which clearly highlights the quality of service (e.g., uptime, security measures, etc.) along with a measure of how much more it would have cost to use a cheaper server, suspicion goes away.
That’s only the most basic of advantages to having a bill of IT, by the way. By implementing a bill of IT, IT managers enable their companies to:
- Transition the operations and administration of mobile fleet
- Send invoices
- Centralize the management of all assets in one system
- Provide access to the centralized repository for all business unit managers to create a culture of Cost Transparency
- Give employees data on their technology consumption
- Crowdsource the procurement of IT, reduce calls to helpdesk
- Map and automate workflows.
- Chargeback costs to the business units.
- Manage your technology providers in one Integrated Ecosystem.
- Empower the entire organization to manage the enterprise digital footprint.
- Use Actionable Data Analytics
Using a bill of IT is one way to promote useful change in companies.
How do you get a Bill of IT?
I hope that cleared up any questions about the bill of IT. Wouldn’t it be great if there were a tool that generates a bill of IT quickly, painlessly, and simply? Well, the good news here is that such a tool exists. It’s Cimpl. Cimpl is an IT and telecom expense management tool that keeps track of all IT and telecom expenses in a company, and displays it all with simple clarity. It takes the simplicity of the bill of IT and makes it even more elegant for end users; justifying your IT investments will never be more clear-cut. Contact us to find out more!