Fresh Trends According to Info-Tech
What exactly does 2016 have in store? If you know, call me. I find that there are so many predictions out there, that it’s actually very difficult to make sense of them all. Regardless, IT expense management may be the key to handling it all...
It can be quite a challenge for enterprises to “bet” on the right trend in leading their enterprise. It is a risk that must be taken, because if you don’t, your competitor might have gambled on the right trend for the win. The Top IT trends listed below are sure bets to consider in your strategy, Info-Tech has listed them as part of their 2016 CIO Trends. These top trends are demanding businesses around the world to note their presence and adapt. Not paying attention to these trends might give your company fatal blows.
- Shadow IT will continue to rise. Info-Tech stated that “Over 50% of business stakeholders are continuing to externally purchase IT services without IT involvement. If IT is not viewed as a source of innovation, its perceived value will decrease and the threat of shadow IT will grow.” And the threats are important, they range from security to over expenditures. This trend is even more important as software and outsourcing continue rising to more than 68% of the IT Budget.
- Disruptive technologies will impact businesses. Technology has proven their ability to impact the business, rendering many obsolete. “Since the year 2000, 52% of Fortune 500 companies have been acquired or are now bankrupt/non-existent” summed the Info-Tech report. Many times, the IT budget has top heavy investments in maintenance of existing systems, which leaves little room for innovation to replace legacy systems. Legacy systems are often listed as an ongoing concern amongst top priorities of reducing costs, improved business processes as well as core products and service management. Many of our customers have found that with Cimpl, they can actually recoup unnecessary expenses and invest them in the adoption of new technologies.
- BI Initiatives will morph into predictive analysis. Approximately 50% of CIOs are currently citing complexity and integration as chief concerns in regards to their BI initiatives, according to Info-Tech. IDC also states that by 2020 there will be over 40 zettabytes of data, and less than half will be useful for analytical purposes. The report includes a quick comparative graph that large companies have reduced the number of management tools they used in 2004 from 15 to under 10 in 2012. The question comes back to how will CIOs actually choose the right BI tool? The solution that will give them the results they need to be seen as a business leader? Cimpl helps them get to the bottom of the data by analyzing the costs directly from the source.
- BYOD will be the norm. This is not new in telecom, many businesses are still know they need to invest in mobile, but securing these devices continues to be a challenge. It does not seem that it will be on the decline since “90% believe that BYOD programs will be the norm for companies within the next two years (Info-Tech)”.The following details could help you out, as a recent security study revealed (Info-Tech):
- 69% of users store sensitive or personal information on their mobile devices.
- 51% of mobile device consumers share usernames and passwords with friends, family, and colleagues.
- An overwhelming 80% of mobile devices are unprotected by security software.
- The number of APIs will continue to grow. APIs has doubled in the last year and a half. It is a growing trend that has many benefits and companies are testing it out, 71% of organizations expect partner APIs to be adopted broadly across their industry by 2017.
We’ve been working with API integrations for many years. It provides the source for creating many different workflows and approval processes which in turns provides our client with multiple Business process automation for saving time and money.
- The IoT and Data will converge. In 2016, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) will converge to accelerate automation. The IoT is accelerating the movement towards streamlining B2B processes, with the goal of minimizing human intervention. You’ve got to read the CIO Trend report to get more insight in this area.
- Outsourcing to resolve staffing challenges for innovation. Did you know that 31 million jobs are expected to open due to retirement? The IT department is the one that is the most often acknowledged, unresolved challenges were HR-related areas such as skills, staffing, and retention. This is one of the stats that really compels organization to look to outsource telecom management to improve their IT and to reduce costs but also to fill in the areas where they don’t have the expertise to innovate.
The Info-Tech report was over 53 pages long, I highly suggest you take a quick look through and you might find a few more trends that you can capitalize on. So are you ready to tackle what 2016 has prepared for you? Did you address most of these trends in your 2016 IT budget?
We’ve got experience helping our customers in reducing IT costs, improving and automating business processes as well as managing their assets and services. We’ve expanded our offering beyond managing only telecom and wireless expenses. With Cimpl you can now easily track your IT and cloud expenses as well by employee, department or by region. Want to know more? Download our Free Kaizen Guide to IT and Telecom Management. Did I mention it was free?