*Please note that Etelesolv changed its company name to Cimpl in 2016.
A version of the following article by Christopher Thierry and Vincent Parisien appeared in the Globe and Mail on March 5, 2014! You can access it here.
6 Keys to a Smooth (IT) Office Move
Our technology company just moved
Our company, Cimpl, has just moved its offices. The number of employees has recently doubled so we needed more space to work and play.
A milestone to be sure, but frankly office moves can be scary.
We’ve all heard horror stories about the havoc a move can wreak on IT infrastructure. Today every company depends heavily on accurate, up to the minute data.
Thankfully, our move to new digs went well and relatively painlessly. In the interest of helping others, here are lessons that we learned that might help you when your company decides to move offices.
Start well ahead of the scheduled move but keep it simple. At Cimpl, we started six months in advance. Once the key people agree on the move strategy, a shared Microsoft Project document (or some similar program) with tasks to assigned individuals will do the job. Weekly reviews will help keep everyone on track. Be prepared to change your plans but make sure every key person involved will understand the changes.
2)SERVICES: You definitely want these three things done before the move (you’ll thank me later).
- Schedule cabling installation with enough lead time to complete the job before moving. Including network cabling in your general contractor's scope of work may save you some issues.
- Ensure adequate power is available in your new server room (50A circuits for UPS for example).
- Make sure you can provide alternative network access to mission critical employees during the network transfer.
3)CONTINUITY: The switchover does not mean you hit ‘pause’ on your operation. Here’s how:
- Before the move, understand your critical employees’ network needs during the switchover, test your temporary connection and identify priority servers/services to be relocated (i.e. Exchange and PDC).
- During the move, have enough staff and ensure everyone is at the pre-defined location. Check in with the team at pre-determined times.
- After the move, test your connections and test your VPN tunnels to other locations.
- Cimpl Included in Gartner's 2017 TEM Market Guide
- Cimpl Calgary Now Open!
- Cimpl Celebrates International Women's Day
About the authors: Chris Thierry is the President and Founder of Etelesolv - Canada’s leading provider of telecom and IT expense managementsoftware. Vincent Parisien is Vice President of Technology at Etelesolv. His team developed Etelesolv’s new platform, Cimpl, which helps organizations connect information, clarify the data, and gain control over their assets. You can reach them at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.