Alright folks, I have 3 simple words for your organization: Wireless Phone Policy.
Now that I have your attention, why am I bothering you with this blatantly obvious statement? I mean all companies have an internal policy that applies to employee allocated wireless services right? Absolutely!
The money question and I do mean this literally: How many of you actually apply, track, and enforce these policies?
Too often I come across large enterprises who are complaining about the constant bleed of dollars from an out of control spend on wireless devices. In almost all cases, when I ask the question, I will get the response that they do have a policy in place; however it proves to be ineffective.
Why? Because more often than not they take for granted that people, outside of those who actually wrote it, follow it or are even aware of its existence. Most employees who are provided a wireless phone asset do not make a relation to the fact that there is a hard and several soft costs associated with their device. They never see an invoice and may be oblivious to any charges they incurred.
Now before I go further, there are many critical factors around effectively managing your wireless fleet that will translate into cost savings and a good TEM provider will help you get established.
So how do I insure that my employees not only become aware but respect & follow the policies outlined in the Wireless Phone Policy document?
Quite simply actually:
- Communication: Educate them on the policy & company expectations. Confirm their understanding of these policies and guidelines.
- Ownership and Commitment: Have them sign off on the document with HR or their manager as an engagement, as well as a confirmation of their understanding and respect for the policy.
- Accountability: Establish a clear consequence model that addresses unacceptable behaviour.
With these steps in place, you are well on your way to creating a global awareness within your business that will quickly translate into cost savings.
If you do not currently have a Wireless Phone Policy within your organization, what are you waiting for?
Here are some key elements that can help get you started:
- Get HR and IT involved
- Provide a definition of wireless services
- Provide a definition of the desired wireless services protocol or application of services
- Define employee responsibilities
- Address safety and legalities
For all other aspects of managing your Wireless and Telecom needs, don’t be shy, I would be more than happy to help. Cimpl's telecom expense management platform goes beyond TEM and can serve your wireless needs.
- A Corporate Policy for Wireless Usage?!
- What is Wireless Expense Management (WEM)?
- 8 Things You Need to Know About Mobile Usage Trends