In many ways the telecom industry was made for Big Data. In recent times the industry has experienced an explosion of data attributed to the continual rapid changes (of voice, data, wireless, social media, short-range technologies etc.) in a highly competitive markets space. Even in our TEM (Telecom Expense Management) industry, we are experiencing a fundamental shift where telecom is crossing over to IT and we see managers struggling to confront the reality (and confusion) of BYOD.
When you think amount of data generated in your company’s telecom environment alone, it can seem overwhelming. Factors that contribute to exponential growth of telecom information include:
- #of Employees
- #of calls made / #sms sent / Megabytes of data consumed
- Categories of call charges
- Roaming, Long Distance, Overage
- Types of Services
- Landlines, Conference Bridges, Aircards, VOIP, Internet
- Types of Devices
- Smart Phones, Tablets, Laptops, Landlines
- # of Devices and # of Services attributed to each employees/division
- Location of Devices Services and #of Employee Movements
- # of Work Orders and # of Approval flows
- Activation Charges, Shipping and Handling, etc..
- Invoice discrepancies
- Service level agreements
Companies who use legacy systems to gain insights from internally generated data often face issues of high storage costs, long data loading time, long administration process, complex queries, outdated compression techniques, and high support costs.
Many organizations are beginning to wake to the reality of big data. This makes it very expensive to process data internally and even more expensive to disregard it all together. Many SaaS companies and other online communities (such as Kaggle) are emerging and geared toward exclusively at solving big data problems for large organizations.
Moving forward in the telecom industry, Telecom Expense Management (TEM) will play an integral role in managing the ever increasing complexity of the corporate telecom environment. And allow organizations to:
- Shorten analysis, planning and increase decision making speed
- Access clean data feeds (accurate and trusted information)
- Enable Interactive users - order/cancel services
- Action on real-time Information
- Scale the solution – to include IT, infrastructure, and employee lifecycle
- Access personalized service and expert support staff
Contact us to discover how to implement Telecom Expense Management into your organization.